The COVID-19 pandemic has changed several operations at Church of the Ascension. Our desire is to keep everyone — members of the church, clergy and other staff, visitors, and those seeking assistance from the church — as safe as we can from the coronavirus. You can click on any of the following links to learn more about each topic:
There are several options for worship at Ascension.
- Indoor public worship will be suspended for the summer.
We will have three outdoor Eucharist services this summer: June 27, July 25, and August 15 at 10 a.m. The rain date will be the Sunday after each of those dates. If it rains again that Sunday, that outdoor service will be cancelled.
Please bring your own lawn chair and mask. Masks will be required during the distribution of the Eucharist.
Please register with the office at email@example.com or 519-451-7780 for these services by noon on the Thursday before. This is so we have time to arrange seating that is physically distanced by households and bubbles.
The service will be held on the front lawn, but if you prefer the shade of trees and lack of noise on the back lawn, there will be a radio on a speaker there for you to listen at 88.1 FM. Eucharist will be provided there as well.
- The service is live-streamed on Ascension’s YouTube channel.
YouTube Tip: On some devices, it may take several hours after the recorded video of the service is posted for it to be listed on our YouTube channel. If you cannot find it immediately in the channel, please search “Church of the Ascension London Ontario month day.”
- Ascension broadcasts Sunday worship services at 88.1 FM. This signal covers about half a kilometre. The parking lot is open for listeners.
- When we do have in-person worship, the protocols are explained in this video:
- And this video from Ascension’s Health & Wellness Team explains the proper wearing and use of masks:
Please note: This service is taking a break from May 26 through the summer of 2021
- A short service of Morning Prayer is held on Zoom at 9 a.m.
- This service is followed by a Bible Study of approximately an hour in length, depending on how the discussion goes
- If you wish to participate, contact Pastor Jim Garey at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for the Zoom invitation.
- Pastor Jim Garey conducts a 15-minute Evening Prayer service daily from his home on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/videojim45.
- The Community Breakfast is served as takeout at the church door on the third Tuesday of every month, followed by delivery to agencies supporting homeless people. Takeout times are approximate, but usually go from 7:30 to 10 a.m.
- A Bible Study is held on Zoom every Wednesday at 9 a.m., beginning with short service of Morning Prayer. If you wish to participate, contact Pastor Jim Garey at email@example.com to arrange for the Zoom invitation. Please note: This program is taking a break from May 26 through the summer of 2021
- Other church groups, renters, and other outside users of the church have not resumed their programming. When they do, they will meet the church’s pandemic guidelines.
- Baptisms, weddings and funerals are being held. Please contact Rev. Canon June Hough at 226-448-8790 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how these will be conducted during the pandemic. Restrictions change according to evolving provincial and diocesan rules.
- Pastoral care is still available from our clergy. Click here for contact information.
- Only urgent cases will be able to have an in-person visit. Face coverings are required. Hugs and handshakes are not permitted
- If Anointing the Sick, the anointer will wash their hands before and after the anointing.
- The Parish Administrator is working a mix of hours in the office and at home. Office visits are by appointment only. She can be contacted through the usual office channels listed on the Find Us page.
- April 17, 2021: Newest Diocese of Huron rules based on provincial rules
- March 11, 2021: Archbishop Linda Nicholls, primate of the Anglican Church of Canada, offered this prayer on the first anniversary of the declaration of the pandemic:
God of infinite compassion and mercy,
Our hearts are overflowing with a flood of emotions from the past year,
Fear and sorrow and grief — endurance, relief, and hope,
For the families of all who have died, who have been unable yet to mourn,
we ask your comfort
For health care workers persevering in the battle with the disease
we ask your strength and courage,
For government and public health leaders
we ask your wisdom
For all facing the relentless uncertainties that continue
we ask your endurance and peace,
We give thanks
for the resilience discovered within us,
We give thanks
for all who continue to work to protect and care for us
We give thanks
for your unending love and compassion in our midst at all times.
As we face the year ahead
fill our hearts with that same love and compassion for our world and its needs
For in you we find all that is needed — for whatever lies ahead. Amen.
- Nov. 13 message from Bishop Todd Townshend: About the Province of Ontario moving some areas of the Diocese into more COVID-19 restrictions.
- Oct. 9 message from Bishop Todd Townshend: Thanksgiving message
- Oct. 8 letter from Rev. Canon June Hough: Thanksgiving message
- Oct. 7 message from Metropolitan Bishop Anne Germond: Thanksgiving greetings
- June 8 message from Bishop Todd Townshend: Reiterates Anglican churches still closed despite change in Ontario regulations at that time.
- June 1 letter from Metropolitan Bishop Anne Germond Topic: Anglican churches not reopening until at least September.
- April 10: Easter blessing letter from Rev. Canon June Hough
- March 13 message from Bishop Todd Townshend of the Diocese of Huron Topic: Suspension of Public Worship as of Sunday, March 15
- February 2021: A year without rental or fundraising income have left us in a very difficult position.
- Sept. 23: An update of financials from April to August, the pandemic months.
- July 14 Ascension financial update: January to June financial report
- June 19 Ascension financial update: Ascension did not qualify for CEWS in May
- June 12 Ascension financial update
- May 13: Executive communications : Includes updates on the Capital Campaign and Operating Funds, the Delayed Sale of the Back of Property and the Mortgage Renewal
- April 16: Executive communications Finances and stewardship
- March 21 Executive communications Topics include finances