Anglican Church public worship services have been suspended starting Sunday, March 15, until at least after Labour Day across the province of Ontario. The archbishop of Ontario, the Most Reverend Anne Germond, explains:
“Regardless of where the Government of Ontario is with its reopening plan, our churches will not be reopening for in-person worship until at least September. This decision was made in consultation with public health experts as well as our diocesan executive officers and chancellors, with the well-being and safety of all our parishioners and the communities we serve uppermost in our hearts and minds.”
Ascension’s Executive Team has made several decisions and arrangements coming out of this. Highlights:
- An online worship option has been set up. Click here for how to view it.
- Programs offered by the church directly and by outside renters and other users of the building are also suspended, except for the Community Breakfast, which will continue as a delivery to the tent city at the Western Fair grounds and to other agencies supporting homeless people.
- Pastoral care is still available from our clergy. Click here for contact information.
- Weddings and funerals are postponed, except in extraordinary circumstances.
- Although the church office is closed on the premises, the Parish Administrator is working from home and can be contacted through the usual office channels listed on the Find Us page.
You can read communications from the Executive Team, the Bishop of Huron, and the Metropolitan Bishop of Ontario regarding the pandemic by clicking on any of the following document titles:
- June 19 Ascension financial update: Did not qualify for CEWS in May
- June 12 Ascension financial update
- June 8 message from Bishop Todd Townshend: Reiterates Anglican churches still closed despite change in Ontario regulations.
- June 1 letter from Metropolitan Bishop Anne Germond Topic: Anglican churches not reopening until at least September.
- May 13: Executive communications Topics: Reopening (not yet), Community Breakfast, Capital Campaign, Financial Update, Sale of Back of Property Delayed, Mortgage Renewal, Attempted Break-In
- April 16: Executive communications Finances and stewardship
- April 10: Easter blessing letter from Rev. Canon June Hough
- March 25 Executive communications Topic: Extension of Suspension of In-Person Church Services
- March 24 Executive communications Topics: Closure of Office in Building (Work From Home), Cancellation of Pickup for Youth Opportunities Unlimited
- March 21 Executive communications Topics: Online Worship, Pastoral Care Guidelines, Easter, Finances, Youth Opportunities Unlimited
- March 14 Executive communications Topics: Public Worship Suspended, Online Worship, Community Breakfast, Church Groups Suspended, Pastoral Care Available, Church Office, Fundraising Events, Church Finances, Future Communications, Prayer
- March 13 message from Bishop Todd Townshend of the Diocese of Huron Topic: Suspension of Public Worship as of Sunday, March 15